Friday, February 17, 2012

Scala

I want this amazing light fitting for my dining room.
Waiters in dapper canary yellow blazers, old school chinese food, crooning lounge music and a 1970s interior with original decor..... welcome to Bangkok's famous and fantastic Scala restaurant.

Because they don't make them like this anymore - in a non-ironic way - I'm sure Quentin Tarantino would have a wet dream about this restaurant and its 100% pure retro vibe. I really like the kitsch overload massive light fitting with its hundreds of orange glass tubes and bulbs.

The music is a bit special as well. If you love the dulcet and sweet tones of Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Patsy Cline, Glen Campbell and other hit-makers from the 50s, 60s and 70s Scala is the place for you. When I'm there, I always half expect my departed dad and father-in-law to walk in - they both loved these timeless classics.

Keeping it old school with original decor and furnishings.
If I ran a heritage trust the entire Scala cinema complex (in which the restaurant is housed) would be declared a national treasure.

Like the Odeon (or is it the Jubilee Cinema?) in central Singapore near Raffles Hotel, Scala has presence, stature and style.

Although the grand dame is aging and creaking, I absolutely love this place. Scala represents not only Bangkok's past, but also many great films enjoyed by hundreds of thousands of Bangkokians.

Back to the Scala food. The menu is old school chinese and I reckon the food and menus haven't changed much since opening days in the 1970s.

Click here for a super blog with amazing photos of some of the restaurant's greatest hit dishes.

Perfectly cooked Peking Duck - the dish that keeps generations of customers coming back again and again and again.
The dish that brings people through the doors is Peking Duck. The Scala chefs have it mastered and it's carved table side for added impact. I hope Scala never disappears and if you're looking for a history-rich place serving excellent food for lunch or dinner make a booking soon.

More Scala info

No comments:

Post a Comment