Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Hanna

Given the choice between Harry Rotter 5 or Hanna, I put my money on the latter and what an inspired decision it turned out to be. Give me a teen killing machine over a young wizard anytime.

Like the best movie experiences, Hanna far exceeded my expectations - though full disclosure, I knew next to nothing about the film before viewing.

While the plot is fairly conventional, director Joe Wright brings a fresh take on the action/thriller genre fusing Leon (The Professional), Run Lola Run, Nikita and Walkabout.

For me, the best scenes were the ones in which Hanna (Saoirse Ronan) - who had been raised in the arctic wilderness - encountered other humans, modern gadgets and objects for the first time. In her eyes, the everyday and ordinary appear wildly exotic, familiar, enthralling and chaotic.

The film also contains more than a dash of humour courtesy of the English family who befriend Hanna. The daughter (Jessica Barden) almost steals the show as do her mum (the always excellent Olivia Williams) and dad (Jason Flemyng).

In addition, Tom Hallander, playing a German assassin is brilliant - his tennis gear attired character is a mix of Attila The Hun and Elton John.

Overall, a 3.5 stars out of 5 for me. The only thing that didn't quite work was the Chemical Brothers soundtrack - a little too boombastic for my ears - though the quieter, folkier tracks were good.

No comments:

Post a Comment