Monday, February 21, 2011

Blues Sunday

Even though it's one of the pillars of rock'n'roll, blues music and me have never been good mates, the recorded stuff anyways. To me, it has always made more sense in a live environment and that was the case on Sunday night.

My pals, Chu and Phil and I visited Fat Gut'z, a stylish juke joint in Thonglor, to enjoy a quiet ale and some quality music. The upbeat three-piece band playing did not disappoint - in fact, they were terrific especially when they sang in Thai.

I think the blues and the Thai language were made for each other. If you don't believe me, make a visit to Fat Gut'z which, with its under-the-stairwell stage, provides an intimate "live in the living room" listening experience.

Loosely themed around a chip shop (a very posh chip shop it must be said), Fat Gut'z is renowned - surprise, surprise - for its fish and chips, salt and pepper squid and rock oysters. We didn't eat but the food ordered by others looked pretty tasty. Special mention to the bar staff as well who were attentive and friendly and nearly as happy as the bass player in the band.

More information: Fat Gutz

No comments:

Post a Comment